Buckwheat Waffles + Peanut Drizzle
Waffles are a perfect brunch on cozy weekends and great to make in large batches for freezing! These are super quick and easy to throw together & super healthy! Oil-free, gluten-free, & refined sugar-free! You can top these with your favorite fruits and superfoods! I made a peanut sauce to drizzle on top with some buckinis for a nice crunch! You can add some chocolate chips, blueberries, or keep them plain! Recipe video at the bottom of this post!
- 2 Chia or Flax eggs (2 tbs mixed with 6 tbs water, set aside for 10 minutes)
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour (or any other GF flour of choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener (I used coconut nectar)
- Preheat your waffle maker to high
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder & baking soda until will combined
- In a smaller bowl, combine the nondairy milk & lemon juice. Let that sit for 5 minutes to form a 'butter milk'
- Add in the vanilla, applesauce, & liquid sweetener
- Pour the chia/flax eggs into the wet ingredient mixture. Whisk it together until well combined
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & fold together. Feel free to add chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter!
- Add the batter to preheated waffle iron. Cook according to waffle maker's directions. Mine took about 8 minutes to get golden brown & crispy
- Remove from the waffle iron & repeat until you have used all the batter
- Stack and top with your favorite fruit and maple syrup or peanut sauce!
- 4 tbsp powdered peanut butter
- 8 tbsp water
- In a small bowl combine the powdered peanut butter & water. If you want a sweeter sauce, replace 2 tbsp of water with maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- Mix it up until a smooth & drippy sauce forms. Feel free to play with the amount of water to adjust the consistency to your liking
- Pour over waffles or pancakes & enjoy!